12 February 2009

They Can’t Ration These



The news these days has been filled with job loss and crashing stocks. I pulled out a lovely reprint of a book first published in 1940 in Britain. The book was written during the height of rationing brought on by the war and while we are not yet rationing, there might just be some things we can learn in They Can't Ration These by Vicomte de Mauduit.

In his preface he states:
The object of this book is to show where to seek and how to use Nature’s larder, which in times of peace and plenty people overlook and ignore.



The Vicomte was quite a guy. He was a cavalry officer, and aviator in World War I, an engineer in Egypt and a cookbook author. During World War II he was believed to have been captured by the Nazi and to have died in Germany. He ignore’s nothing that we might need to know in those (and these) sparse times. We are told how to make soap, how to use horse-radish to “cure “ freckles, and how to find wild bird eggs. There are an array of nifty recipes for hedgehog, squirrel, frogs and various other small winged creatures from Rooks to starlings. As for their eggs, be warned:

When Handling Eggs

If you suffer from a cut on the hands, be careful when breaking eggs that the cut is not in contact with the white, and in all cases if your fingers have been in contact with the white of eggs do not rub your eyes. The white of the eggs, or albumen, is equal in chemicals to the venom of the rattlesnake.
Who knew? It seems a bit odd that I can eat the eggs but not get the whites in my eyes.

Some of the recipes are so unencumbered, they seem to the modern reader to be comical. Truth be told, as someone who cooks a lot, I rather like these bare boned recipes!

Baked Bream

Clean, wash and wipe the fish, then wrap it in a buttered paper and bake in a moderate oven for about half an hour.



This lovely reprint of They Can’t Ration These was done by Persephone Books in London. Each of their reprints are done in simple grey card stock with endpapers taken from old wallpapers and textiles. For the Vicomte's book they chose "October" from a a fabric designed by Alma Ramsey-Hosking. Using the same inventiveness needed to persevere in 1940's rationing, Ramsey-Hosking's fabric was printed at her kitchen table using potato prints and paint on sugar paper. If you are unfamiliar with Persephone Books, take a look at their web site or visit them in London and linger.

32 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up! 24 Hour Towing Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made. Parking Lot Towing Woodbridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite like reading an article that can make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment! Towing Clarksville

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, This type of articles keeps the user's interest in the website, and keep on sharing more. Roadside Assistance Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact. Towing Service Hardy Toll road

    ReplyDelete
  6. A debt of gratitude is in order for the post with respect to this. I discover this kind of data exceptionally helpful. Flatbed Towing Humble

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Winch Outs Stafford

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post. I like this topic. This site has lots of advantages. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways. Thanks for posting this again. Heavy Duty Towing Albuquerque

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to thank you for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definitely enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must-read blog! Winch Outs Henderson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Parking Lot Towing Bowling Green KY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Anyway, I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Towing and Recovery DeSoto

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. Towing and Recovery Buda Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found this article very interesting and informative. It will definitely add to our knowledge. RV Towing Huntsville TX

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely too a great posting we genuinely experienced glancing through. It is a long way from every day we have a hazard to look at a touch of something. Towing Company Shreveport

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see the greatest content on your blog and I extremely love reading them. Towing and Recovery Watertown TN

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your grasp of this topic is amazing. It really touched base with me and I am glad I found this material. Thank you very much. Auto Wrecker Portland TN

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep ‘em coming. you all do such an excellent task at such Concepts… cannot tell you how significantly I, for a single appreciate all you do! Towing Company Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is extremely nice to see the greatest details presented in an easy and understanding manner. Parking Lot Towing Lewisville

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few posts. I like your style of writing. Rollback Service Bentonville

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am very glad after reading your amazing article, thanks for sharing. Car Towing Coppell

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am happy subsequent to perusing your stunning article, a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing. Motorcycle Towing Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  22. A debt of gratitude is in order for composing such a decent article, I faltered onto your blog and read a couple of posts. I like your style of composing. Motorcycle Towing Bastrop

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is incredibly ideal to see the best subtleties introduced in a simple and getting way. Cheap Towing Shirley NY

    ReplyDelete
  24. Keep them coming… all of you do such a great assignment at such Concepts… can't reveal to you how essentially I, for a solitary welcome everything you do! Wrecker Service Addison

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your grip on this theme is astonishing. It truly connected to me and I am happy I discovered this material. Much thanks. 24 Hour Towing West Park FL

    ReplyDelete
  26. I see the best substance on your blog and I amazingly love understanding them. Towing Near Me Corpus

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great post. I like this topic. This site has lots of advantages. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways. Thanks for posting this again. Towing Service Weatherford

    ReplyDelete
  28. Towing Service in Germantown. offers prompt and professional towing assistance in Germantown and nearby areas. With skilled operators and modern tow trucks, they provide reliable vehicle transportation during emergencies, breakdowns, or accidents. Available 24/7, their efficient service ensures safe handling and quick solutions for drivers in need. Germantown Towing Service.

    ReplyDelete
  29. When you're facing a Hickory Ridge Towing Service. , our dedicated towing service is here to assist you promptly. Whether it's a vehicle breakdown, accident, or any unexpected issue, we provide reliable and professional towing solutions around the clock. Count on us to ensure your safety and peace of mind on the roads of Hickory Ridge. Junk car service in Hickory Ridge.

    ReplyDelete
  30. When you're facing a roadside emergency in Windyke, don't fret—turn to our emergency towing Windyke for prompt and reliable assistance. We stand ready 24/7 to provide swift solutions to your vehicle troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Searching for a dependable towing service near Oakville? Find reliable local experts ready to assist with prompt and professional roadside assistance when you need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Emergency towing in East Memphis. offers rapid assistance for vehicles facing urgent situations. With a team of skilled professionals and well-equipped tow trucks, this service ensures quick and safe transportation for drivers in East Memphis during unforeseen emergencies.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin